Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 24

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 24

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02446
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 24
Historic Street Address: Broad & Pine Streets, Northwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00803, top [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 16.5 cm]:

http://hsp.org/sites/default/files/legacy_files/migrated/findingaid3068edwinforresthome.pdf

Halftone reproduction of a photograph showing the rear of a three-storied mansion surmounted by an observatory. Surrounded by trees and ample lawns in the Homesburg section of the city, the country estate was owned by prominent nineteenth century actor Edwin Forrest, who founded a home here for retired actors in 1848.


Notes:

Item pdcc00804, middle left [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 13.2 cm]:

http://hsp.org/sites/default/files/legacy_files/migrated/findingaid3068forrest.pdf

Depicts a three-storied mansion surrounded by trees and lawns. Situated in the Holmesburg section of the city, the country estate was owned by prominent actor Edwin Forrest who, in 1848, founded here the Edwin Forrest Home for retired actors. The property was sold in 1926, and the retirement home was moved to Overbrook.


Notes:

Item pdcc00805, bottom [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 16.7 cm]:

http://library.uarts.edu/archives/hamilton.html

Depicts the Greek Revival building designed in 1824 by architect John Haviland for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. The institution was founded in 1820 by David Seixas, a Philadelphia merchant, and is one of the oldest schools of its kind in the country. The school remained here until 1892, when it moved to a more spacious location in Mt. Airy. The image shows the facade of the Haviland building with a portico and four Doric columns flanked by niches. The statues within the niches were never installed. Two additions were made to this building; first, in 1838 by William Strickland, and again, in 1875 by Frank Furness. In 1893 the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art, now the University of the Arts, purchased the building, which was renamed Dorrance Hamilton Hall.


Notes:

Item pdcc00818, middle right [image dimensions 8.8 cm x 8.0 cm]:

Shows the Greek Revival building designed in 1824 by architect John Haviland for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. The institution was founded in 1820 by David Seixas, a Philadelphia merchant, and is one of the oldest schools of its kind in the country. The school remained here until 1892, when it moved to a more spacious location in Mt. Airy. The image shows the facade of the Haviland building with a portico and four Doric columns flanked by niches. Two additions were made to this building; first, in 1838 by William Strickland, and again, in 1875 by Frank Furness. In 1893 the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art, now the University of the Arts, purchased the building, which was renamed Dorrance Hamilton Hall.

http://library.uarts.edu/archives/hamilton.html


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.945566
Geocode Longitude:-75.165143

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Brown, H. L. - Artist
Kearny, Francis, 1785-1837 - Engraver
Haviland, John, 1792-1852