Item No: pdcc02461
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 39
Historic Street Address:
4641 Roosevelt Boulevard
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00839, top right [image dimensions 16.4 cm x 10.6 cm]:
Depicts a well-tended formal garden with the library and reading room beyond, in the grounds of the Friends Asylum for the Insane. Friends Hospital, as it is known today, was built in 1813 on 100 acres north of Frankford. It was the nation's first private psychiatric hospital.
Item pdcc00840, bottom left [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 8.5 cm]:
Depicts the building in which the Homeopathic Hospital of Pennsylvania opened in 1852. Situated on Chestnut Street near the Schuylkill River, the hospital remained in operation for about two years when it was closed for want of support.
Item pdcc00841, top left [image dimensions 20.6 cm x 15.0 cm]:
A page containing 9 vignettes each depicting an exterior view of a named charitable institution in Philadelphia during the 19th and 20th Centuries. Those depicted are: Baptist Home; Little Sisters of the Poor; Methodist Home; Presbyterian Home for Widows; Foster Home; Burd Orphan Asylum; Northern Home for Friendless Children; Old Man's Home; Home for Aged Colored Persons.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Butler, J. M. - Engraver