Item No: pdcc00836
Title: Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital
Additional Title: Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane. Department for Males.
Historic Street Address:
49th & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Depicts an exterior view of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane, showing people enjoying the extensive grounds near 49th and Market in West Philadelphia.The new hospital opened in 1859 as a twin to the original hospital building at 44th and Market. Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride, the hospital's superintendant became known as the "father of American psychiatry". He believed fervently in the humane treatment of the insane, and adopted the most advanced therapeutic techniques of the day. The new building, which at first served male patients only (females remained at the original building), allowed him the space he needed to practice his innovative ideas. Eventually both departments were consolidated with the construction of a five-story addition to this building, which was renamed The Institute of the Pennsylvania Hospital. The hospital closed in 1997.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Sloan, Samuel, 1815-1884 - Architect
Butler, J. M. - Engraver
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler