Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 33Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 4800 Woodland Avenues
Historic Street Address: 619 Kater Street
Historic Street Address: 63rd & Market Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00826, top [image dimensions 11.7 cm x 16.0 cm]:
Depicts the interior of schoolroom with a teacher surrounded by a group of raggedy children.
Item pdcc00827, middle [image dimensions 9.9 cm x 15.9 cm]:
The building depicted was formerly the Mission House, for the training of young men for foreign missionary work, operated by The Brotherhood of the Protestant Episcopal Church. After the brotherhood disbanded in the 1870s, the building was owned and occupied by the Pennsylvania Working Home for Blind Men, until 1979.
Item pdcc00828, bottom right [image dimensions 7.7 cm x 7.4 cm]:
Photograph shows the gothic inspired building which housed the orphanage for girls founded by Elizabeth H. Burd in 1856. Located near Cobbs Creek in Delaware County, the building opened in 1863 under the management of St. Stephen's Protestant Episcopal Church. It was torn down in the 1930s.
Building demolished: YES ca. 1930
Item pdcc00829, bottom right [image dimensions 9.9 cm x 15.8 cm]:
Depicts the original building of this benevolent institution, which was organized in 1877 to rehabilitate "crippled individuals to lead useful and profitable lives". The buildings and grounds occupied five acres in West Philadelphia.
Building demolished: YES
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.212051
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler