Item No: pdcc02451
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 29
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00815, top [image dimensions 20.3 cm x 20.5 cm]:
Shows the plan and elevation of the Philadelphia Dispensary for the medical relief of the poor, on Fifth Street between Sansom and Walnut. The first institution of its kind in the country, the dispensary was established in 1786 by Dr. Benjamin Rush. The building on view opened in 1801 and included an Obstetrical and Eye and Ear department. Consulting physicians and surgeons included such notables as Drs. Benjamin Rush, Caspar Wistar and Philip S. Physick.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00816, bottom [image dimensions 11.8 cm x 20.3 cm]:
Depicts the convalescent home of the Presbyterian Hospital, located in Devon, Pa.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler