Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, Overbrook

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, Overbrook

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00851
Title: Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, Overbrook
Historic Street Address: 6333 Malvern Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Built in 1898-99, the Spanish Renaissance-styled building was designed by the architectural firm of Cope & Stewardson for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, in Overbrook, Pa. The school, one of the oldest of its kind in the country, was established in 1832 by Julius Friedlander, a German-born teacher of blind children. In 1835 the school moved from Friedlander's rented quarters to a purpose-built home at the Northwest corner of Twentieth and Race Streets. The move to its new home in Overbrook led to an eventual name change, in 1946, to the Overbrook School for the Blind.


Notes:

Source: http://www.obs.org/text.php?ITEM=138


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.982946
Geocode Longitude:-75.248865

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Cope & Stewardson - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler