Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 40

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 40

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02462
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 40
Historic Street Address: 4618 Westminster Avenue
Historic Street Address: Girard & Corinthian Avenues
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00842, top left [image dimensions 17.8 cm x 12.7 cm]:

Shows the Hahnemann Homoeopathic College and Hospital on Broad Street between Race and Vine in 1885. That same year the college and hospital were formerly joined as the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia. Also shows a horse-drawn coach and carriage drawn up at the curb.

Source: http://www.homeoint.org/cazalet/histo/pennsylvfem.htm


Notes:

Item pdcc00843, bottom [image dimensions 13.2 cm x 18.0 cm]:

One of many charitable institutions located in West Philadelphia during the Nineteenth Century, the Philadelphia Home for Infants - depicted here - was founded in 1873 as a non-sectarian institution. The purpose of the home was to care for children younger than three years old who were deemed to young to be admitted into other institutions.


Notes:

Item pdcc00844, top right [image dimensions 12.0 cm x 11.3 cm]:

Depicts the German Hospital of Philadelphia which was founded in 1860. It was renamed Lankenau Hospital, in 1917, after a wealthy German-born Philadelphia businessman. Shows pedestrians on the sidewalks and horse-drawn vehicles on Girard Avenue.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.972866
Geocode Longitude:-75.170336

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler