Item No: pdcc00799
Title: Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind.
Historic Street Address:
20th & Race Streets, Northwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Print shows the facade of the Pennsylvania Institution for the Blind which stood at 20th and Race Streets from 1835. German-born Julius Reinhold Friedlander, a young teacher of blind and visually impaired, established the institution a few years before, in 1832. Also shows pedestrians and a guardhouse.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Wild, J. C. (John Caspar), approximately 1804-1846 - Artist
Bowen, John T., approximately 1801-1856? - Lithographer
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler