Item No: pdcc00812
Title: Cuyler Hospital. Germantown.
Historic Street Address:
5928 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of a photograph showing a bird's-eye view of central Germantown. In the right foreground stands the Old Town Hall, designed by architect Napolean LeBrun and constructed in 1854. During the Civil War the building was used as a military hospital, and in 1862 additional buildings (shown in this photograph) were added to accommodate the influx of wounded soldiers. Cuyler Army Hospital, as it was named, received patients until the end of the war when the frame buildings were dismantled. The Old Town Hall is shown with its original steeple. In 1876 a new steeple was built to house the clock and bell from the old State House. The Old Town Hall was demolished in 1920 and replaced by a new Town Hall on the same site.
A917.481 P536 v.9
Le Brun, Napoleon, 1821-1901 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler