Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 41Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: Olney & York Roads
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00845, top [image dimensions 11.0 cm x 18.3 cm]:
An exterior view of the Jewish Hospital and Home with people walking in the grounds. Built in 1873 by the architectural firm of Furness & Hewitt, the building underwent additions and alterations in 1888 and 1902. It has since been demolished.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00846, bottom [image dimensions 9.8 cm x 15.7 cm]:
Depicts an exterior view of the hospital from the corner of 16th and Girard Avenue. Shows pedestrians on the sidewalk, and horse-drawn traffic. St. Joseph's Hospital was the first Catholic hospital in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. It opened in 1849 under the direction of the Sisters of Charity.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.162705
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Furness & Hewitt (Firm) - Architect
Rogers, E. (Edward), 1831 or 1832- - Artist
Lewis, H. B. - Engraver