Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 23

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 23

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02445
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 23
Historic Street Address: 111 Elwyn Road
Historic Street Address: Saunders & Powelton Avenues
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00801, top [image dimensions 10.5 cm x 14.3 cm]:

Shows a fine brick building, with stone annex, standing at the corner of Saunders and Powelton Avenues in West Philadelphia. The Pennsylvania Institute for Blind Women was one of many charitable  institutions that opened in West Philadelphia during the latter half of the Nineteenth Century. Established in 1868, the institute provided paid employment for blind women in a variety of handicrafts.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc00802, bottom [image dimensions 10.5 cm x 18.8 cm]:

http://www.elwyn.org/about/history/

Depicts the front view of architect Samauel Sloan's italianate building constructed between 1857 and 1861 for the Pennsylvania Training School for Feeble-Minded Children. Founded in 1852 by Dr. Alfred Elwyn, a Pennsylvania physician. the institution quickly outgrew its original location  in Germantown, and this larger facility was built on a 60-acre site in Delaware County. In 1966 it became known as the Elwyn Institute, then later "Elwyn".


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.959432
Geocode Longitude:-75.198694

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
F. Gutekunst, Photographers (Philadelphia, Pa.) - Photographer
Sloan, Samuel, 1815-1884 - Architect

View other associated items