Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 43

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 43

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02465
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 43
Historic Street Address: 34th & Pine Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00848, top left [image dimensions 5.0 cm x 9.7 cm]:

Depicts the almshouse in Blockley Township overlooking the Schuylkill River. Designed by architect William Strickland, the building was completed in 1833. It was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919, but continued to be called "Old Blockley" for decades. The original buildings were gradually replaced by modern facilities, until it was closed in 1977.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc00849, top right [image dimensions 6.9 cm x 10.7 cm]:

Shows the Greek Revival facade of the almshouse in Blockley Township. Designed by architect William Strickland, the building was completed in 1833. It was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919, but continued to be called "Old Blockley" for decades. The original buildings were gradually replaced by modern facilities, until it was closed in 1977.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc00850, bottom [image dimensions 20.2 cm x 15.2 cm]:

http://www.catholicsocialservicesphilly.org/history.php

Shows a portion of the facade of St. Francis de Sales Industrial School, in Eddington, Pa. The institution, established in 1899, provided a practical education for orphaned and abandoned boys. In 2002 it merged with St. Joseph's House for Homeless Industrious Boys to become St. Francis-St. Joseph Homes for Children, located in Bensalem, Bucks County.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.952739
Geocode Longitude:-75.221848

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Artist