Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 6Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 213 North 21st. Street
Historic Street Address: 24th Street & Gray's Ferry Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00788, top left [image dimensions 8.3 cm x 14.0 cm]:
Depicts the orthopedic hospital which stood on the northwest corner of 17th & Summer Streets, below Vine Street. The hospital was established in 1867 to treat patients with physical deformities. In 1870, an infirmary for nervous diseases was added. In 1938, the Philadelphia Orthopaedic Hospital and Infirmary for Nervous Diseases, as it became known, merged with the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00789, top right [image dimensions 9.5 cm x 9.7 cm]:
Depicts the Magdalen Home, which stood on the northeast corner of Race and 21st Streets. Built in 1840 on the site of the original 1808 structure, this larger property was protected by a high wall.
Item pdcc00790, middle [image dimensions 13.0 cm x 22.6 cm]:
Depicts retired seamen relaxing in the reading-room of the United States Naval Asylum. The wood engraving was made from a photograph by Newell & Son, and drawings by Miller and M'Cutcheon.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.180939
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Sword, J. B. - Artist
Miller and McCutcheon - Artist