Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 25

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 25

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02447
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.9, Hospitals, Charitable, page 25
Historic Street Address: 5300 Chester Avenue
Historic Street Address: 911-915 Locust Street
Historic Street Address: Broad & Pine Streets, Northwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00806, bottom [image dimensions 9.5 cm x 15.0 cm]:

Depicts the Greek Revival building designed in 1824 by architect John Haviland for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. The institution was founded in 1820 by David Seixas, a Philadelphia merchant, and is one of the oldest schools of its kind in the country. The school remained here until 1892, when it moved to a more spacious location in Mt. Airy. The image shows the facade of the Haviland building with a portico and four Doric columns flanked by niches. Two additions were made to this building; first, in 1838 by William Strickland, and again, in 1875 by Frank Furness. In 1893 the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art, now the University of the Arts, purchased the building, which was renamed Dorrance Hamilton Hall.

http://library.uarts.edu/archives/hamilton.html


Notes:

Item pdcc00807, middle left [image dimensions 6.9 cm x 12.2 cm]:

Depicts the Greek Revival building designed in 1824 by architect John Haviland for the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. The institution was founded in 1820 by David Seixas, a Philadelphia merchant, and is one of the oldest schools of its kind in the country. The school remained here until 1892, when it moved to a more spacious location in Mt. Airy. The image shows the facade of the Haviland building with a portico and four Doric columns flanked by niches. Two additions were made to this building; first, in 1838 by William Strickland, and again, in 1875 by Frank Furness. In 1893 the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art, now the University of the Arts, purchased the building, which was renamed Dorrance Hamilton Hall.

http://library.uarts.edu/archives/hamilton.html


Notes:

Item pdcc00819, middle right [image dimensions 7.3 cm x 13.8 cm]:

http://www.littlesistersofthepoorphiladelphia.org/index.php/our-home/history

Postcard view showing the interior of the chapel belonging to the Sacred Heart Home of the Little Sisters of the Poor. The wood framed building, located in Southwest Philadelphia, was officially opened in 1905 and provided a place of residence for 300 people until it was closed in 1969.

Building demolished: YES ca. 1973


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.939603
Geocode Longitude:-75.221789

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.9
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Burton, Charles, active 1823-1839 - Artist
Fenner, Sears & Co. - Engraver
Strickland, George, 1797-1851 - Artist
Childs, Cephas Grier, 1793-1871 - Engraver
F. Gutekunst, Photographers (Philadelphia, Pa.) - Photographer