Item No: pdcc00763
Title: The Union Benevolent Association.
Historic Street Address:
7th & Sansom Streets, Northwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Depicts the four-story building owned by the pioneering private charity. The Union Benevolent Association is the oldest continuously existing charity in the city, and one of the oldest in the country. Founded in 1831 and incorporated in 1871 to adress the needs of the new immigrant population, the charity's stated purpose was "the encouragement of industry, the suppression of pauperism, and the relief of suffering among the worthy poor."
A917.481 P536 v.9
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler