Item No: pdcc01066
Title: Cole's Abbey.
Additional Title: Mount Vernon Cottage
Print and Picture Collection
Shows the gable front of a two-and-a-half story building with a long covered porch. A horse-drawn carriage with a painted advertisement on its side is parked outside the entrance, and people are lounging around and posing. A large free-standing signboard advertises a minstrel show. Located at the junction of Township Line (later Wissahickon Avenue) and Nicetown Lane, Mount Vernon Cottage, sometimes called the new Abbey, was the most popular roadhouse in the city under the management of George Cole.
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler