Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 65Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01169, top left [image dimensions 8.8 cm x 10.0 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of a photograph of a two-and-a-half story building with a double-tiered porch running the width of the facade. The Seven Stars Tavern, at Village Green, near Chester, played a prominent part in the Revolutionary War. It later became known as The Village Green Hotel.
Clipped from an unidentified newspaper.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcl00082, top right:
"Ornamental eagles were frequently used above store fronts, hotel cornices and clock towers. Samuel and Jacob Espen erected this ornate clock tower with eagle partly to give height to the store front, and also to provide an eye-catching signboard upon which to proclaim their merchandise of fancy lace and embroideries. The objects in the immediate foreground are the awning and awning poles of the building from whose second-story window the photo was made."--OPEP, p. 87.
Commercial buildings with awnings. Clocktower on roof of one with eagle sculpture on top; sign below clock: "31 Espen & Bro., Laces,Embroideries & Trimming." Next store: "33 M.M. Riter, auction goods, cheap for cash" and "Riter's Cash Store." On roof of another building is a wood frame structure. Partially visible horse and carriage parked on street.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.152623
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler