Castner Scrapbook v.11, Hotels, Inns, inside front cover

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.11, Hotels, Inns, inside front cover

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02623
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.11, Hotels, Inns, inside front cover
Historic Street Address: 1918-1920 Chestnut Street
Historic Street Address: 9th & Chestnut Street
Historic Street Address: 9th & Chestnut Street, Southeast corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc01042, top [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 11.5 cm]:

Reproduction of an engraving depicting the garden and rear of the Aldine Hotel. Opened in 1877 the hotel occupied the site of the historic mansion built in 1850 by Dr. James Rush, a son of Dr. Benjamin Rush, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. After Dr. Rush's death the mansion was bought by the publisher, Joshua B. Lippincott. The building was greatly altered and expanded, and when it opened as the Aldine Hotel it quickly became one of the premier hotels in the city. Famous guests included actress Dame Ellen Terry and baseball greats Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. The original section - the one with the flag - was demolished about 1927.


Notes:

Item pdcc01043, bottom [image dimensions 8.5 cm x 8.5 cm]:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/uphp/AABN/continental%20/continental.html

Left-half of an albumen stereograph mounted on green card bearing the inscription M. P. Simons, 1320 Chestnut St. Philadelphia. Shows the elegant interior of the capacious dining hall of the Continental Hotel. Designed in a restrained Italianate style by architect John McArthur, the huge hotel was built between 1857 and 1860. It underwent various alterations notably the one to the front entrance made by Frank Furness in 1876.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc01043, middle [image dimensions 13.0 cm x 18.0 cm]:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/uphp/AABN/continental%20/continental.html

Depicts a bustling street scene outside the huge Continental Hotel located on the Southeast corner of 9th and Chestnut. Designed by architect John McArthur J. in a restrained Italianate style, the Hotel was built between 1857 and 1860. Several modifications were made over the years including Frank Furness's alterations to the front entrance in 1876. The building was demolished in 1923-4.

Building demolished: YES ca. 1924.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949814
Geocode Longitude:-75.155502

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Yarnall & Cooper - Architect
McArthur, John, 1823-1890 - Architect