Item No: pdcc01168
Title: The Anvil Tavern
Additional Title: The Anvil Tavern, on the old Baltimore Road, the scene of a part of Bayard Taylor's "Story of Kennett."
Print and Picture Collection
Reproduction of a pen-and-ink drawing of a two story stone building with covered porches. The Anvil Tavern, formerly Welch's Tavern, was associated with the Battle of Brandywine which took place on September 11, 1777. British soldiers took refreshment at the tavern on their way to the battlefield.
Image clipped from Munsey's Magazine, volume 18, illustrating an article on the old haunts of 19th Century novelist and poet Bayard Taylor, who was born in Kennett Square in 1825.
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler