Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 9

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 9

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02634
Title: Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 9
Historic Street Address: Broad & Chestnut Streets
Historic Street Address: Front & Market Streets
Historic Street Address: Front & Market, Southwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc01076, top left [image dimensions 10.3 cm x 8.8 cm]:

Shows La Pierre House, located on the west side of Broad Street, below Chestnut. Built in 1853, the luxurious hotel was designed by Philadelphia architect John McArthur Jr. The building's richly ornamented facade is surmounted by a huge sculpture of an American eagle. The hotel was renamed the Lafayette Hotel in 1876 and demolished in 1900. A partial view of the Academy of Natural Sciences is on the left. Horse-drawn carriages and coaches are drawn up in front of the buildings.

Building demolished: YES ca. 1900


Notes:

Item pdcc01077, top right [image dimensions 18.2 cm x 14.0 cm]:

http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-165

Photograph of the building on the corner of Front & Market Streets that housed the London Coffee House in colonial times. Opened by William Bradford in 1754, The London Coffee House quickly became the place to talk politics and conduct business, including the inspection and auctioning of slaves. In 1796, James Stokes bought the establishment and converted it into his home and a store. In the following decades until it was torn down in 1883 the old building, which had been the center of business and political life in Philadelphia, housed a variety of businesses. This 1854 photograph shows the building occupied by a tobacco store and a clothing store.

Building demolished: YES 1883


Notes:

Item pdcc01078, bottom [image dimensions 14.0 cm x 16.6 cm]:

http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-21

Depicts the building on the corner of Front & Market Streets that housed the London Coffee House in colonial times. Opened by William Bradford in 1754, The London Coffee House quickly became the place to talk politics and conduct business, including the inspection and auctioning of slaves. In 1796, James Stokes bought the establishment and converted it into his home and a store. In the following decades until it was torn down in 1883 the old building, which had been the center of business and political life in Philadelphia, housed a variety of businesses. This illustration from about 1854 shows the building occupied by a tobacco store and a clothing store.

Building demolished: YES 1883


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949529
Geocode Longitude:-75.142290

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
McArthur, John, 1823-1890 - Compiler
Devereux, Nicholson B., approximately 1813- - Artist