Item No: pdcc02669
Title: Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 44
Historic Street Address:
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01137, top [image dimensions 13.1 cm x 20.3 cm]:
Pen-and-ink drawing of the Buttonwood Tavern, named for the two stately buttonwood trees straddling the unpaved road in front of the building. Shows a man lounging on a hitching post, and another standing on the porch in front of the entrance. To the left sits a cart with its shafts resting on the ground.
Built in 1716 by Joseph Shippen, a son of Edward Shippen, the first mayor of Philadelphia, the hostelry bore the name "Ye Roebuck Inn". In 1819 the property was bought by George Heft, and its name was changed to the Buttonwood Tavern. The old building was eventually torn down and replaced with a private residence.
Building demolished: YES
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Stauffer, David McNeely, 1845-1913 - Artist