Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 1C

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 1C

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02625
Title: Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 1C
Historic Street Address: 1026-1044 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 37-39 N. 2nd Street
Historic Street Address: Broad & Walnut Streets, Northwest corner
Historic Street Address: Woodland Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00114, middle right [image dimensions 10.5 cm x 11.9 cm]:

Halftone reproduction of a photograph showing the courtyard behind the Black Horse Inn at Second Street. Two groups of men stand posing. Three vehicles, including a covered wagon, are parked in the courtyard.

Image originally published in George Washington Englehardt's "Philadelphia Pennsylvania, The Book of its Bourse & Co-operating Bodies", Philadelphia, Lippincot Press, 1898-1899, p. 31


Notes:

Item pdcc01050, top left [image dimensions 10.3 cm x 14.2 cm]:

http://www.darbyhistory.com/BlueBell1.html

Etching of the historic Blue Bell Inn, located on Cobbs Creek in Darby, Pa. Built by Henry Paschall in 1766 on the main stagecoach road from Philadelphia to the southern colonies, the inn witnessed a Revolutionary war battle. Shows the inn's sign depicting a bell.


Notes:

Item pdcc01051, top right [image dimensions 9.1 cm x 7.8 cm]:

Shows the hotel named after John Bingham, railroad agent who had associations with the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad Depot on whose former site the Bingham House stood. Established in 1867, the hotel was remodeled in 1890 and demolished in 1926. Also shows views of adjacent storefronts.

Building demolished: YES 1926


Notes:

Item pdcc01052, middle left [image dimensions 8.7 cm x 10.4 cm]:

Depicts the hotel named after John Bingham, railroad agent who had associations with the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad Depot on whose former site the Bingham House stood. Established in 1867, the hotel was remodeled in 1890 and demolished in 1926. Shows numerous horse-drawn traffic in the street.

Building demolished: YES 1926


Notes:

Item pdcc01113, bottom right [image dimensions 5.8 cm x 10.2 cm]:

Advertisement for the Madison House, a hotel on Second Street above Market. Depicts the facade of the hotel, proprietor J. Ottenkirk.

Clipped from an unidentified newspaper.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.951031
Geocode Longitude:-75.143357

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Ritchie, H. - Artist