Item No: pdcc02676
Title: Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 51
Historic Street Address:
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01150, bottom right [image dimensions 9.5 cm x 12.5 cm]:
View showing the 400 block of Market Street, Chester, Pa. including the Washington House - the three story building with second floor balcony. Built in 1747, the establishment was known as "Pennsylvania Arms" until after General Washington stopped here following the Battle of Brandywine in 1777. Also shows the premises of Louis Bergdoll Brewing Co., The Oriental Tea Coffee and Spice Store, and Wm. E. Headley's Express Office.
Building demolished: YES 1952
Item pdcc01151, top left [image dimensions 21.6 cm x 11.2 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of a photograph of a hotel in Billingsport, New Jersey, built in 1701. During the Revolution General Washington's officers were quartered here while they garrisoned the nearby fort built to protect Philadelphia from the British fleet.
Published in The North American newspaper.
Building demolished: YES
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler