Advanced
Hotel Walton

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01133
Title: Hotel Walton
Historic Street Address: Broad & Locust Streets, Southwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Rendering of the Hotel Walton, Broad & Locust Streets. This ornate hotel, designed by Angus S. Wade (whose name appears in red print at the bottom of this flyer), opened in February 1896. The conical turrets topped with flagpoles helped to establish the hotel as a landmark in center city. Incorporated into the building's design was the Hotel Metropole, an earlier establishment on this site along with the Empire Theatre, which was demolished to accomodate the new hotel. After bankruptcy proceedings in 1946 the hotel was renamed the John Bartram. It was demolished in 1966. Shows a partial view of the Broad Street Theatre on the right.


Creation Year: ca. 1895
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.948214
Geocode Longitude:-75.164590

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Wade, Angus S., 1865-1932 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler