Item No: pdcc01077
Title: Old London Coffee House
Historic Street Address:
Front & Market, Southwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Photograph of the building on the corner of Front & Market Streets that housed the London Coffee House in colonial times. Opened by William Bradford in 1754, The London Coffee House quickly became the place to talk politics and conduct business, including the inspection and auctioning of slaves. In 1796, James Stokes bought the establishment and converted it into his home and a store. In the following decades until it was torn down in 1883 the old building, which had been the center of business and political life in Philadelphia, housed a variety of businesses. This 1854 photograph shows the building occupied by a tobacco store and a clothing store.
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler