Item No: pdcc01137
Title: The Buttonwood Tavern
Additional Title: also Roebuck Inn.
Print and Picture Collection
Pen-and-ink drawing of the Buttonwood Tavern, named for the two stately buttonwood trees straddling the unpaved road in front of the building. Shows a man lounging on a hitching post, and another standing on the porch in front of the entrance. To the left sits a cart with its shafts resting on the ground.
Built in 1716 by Joseph Shippen, a son of Edward Shippen, the first mayor of Philadelphia, the hostelry bore the name "Ye Roebuck Inn". In 1819 the property was bought by George Heft, and its name was changed to the Buttonwood Tavern. The old building was eventually torn down and replaced with a private residence.
A917.481 P536 v.11
Stauffer, David McNeely, 1845-1913 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler