Advanced
Hotel Walton

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01141
Title: Hotel Walton
Historic Street Address: Broad & Locust, Southeast corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Reproduction of a photograph of the Hotel Walton on south Broad Street. The ornate Hotel was designed by architect Angus S. Wade, and opened in February 1896. The building's conical turrets topped with flagpoles helped to establish it as a landmark in center city. The large sign on the roof advertises the hotel's name and proclaims the building fireproof.  Incorporated into the building's design was the Hotel Metropole, an earlier establishment on this site along with the Empire Theatre, which was demolished.  After bankruptcy proceedings in 1946 the hotel was renamed the John Bartram. The building was torn down in 1966. Shows horse-drawn carriages and cabs pulled up at the kerb. Also shows a partial view of the Broad Street Theatre located next door to the hotel on the right.


Creation Year: ca. 1900
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.948214
Geocode Longitude:-75.164590

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Wade, Angus S., 1865-1932 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler