Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 17

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 17

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02642
Title: Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 17
Historic Street Address: 825-835 Chestnut Street
Historic Street Address: 915-917 Walnut Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc01087, bottom left [image dimensions 7.9 cm x 7.9 cm]:

Shows the elegant facade of the Irving House hotel, located on the north side of Walnut Street above 9th Street.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc01088, bottom right [image dimensions 8.7 cm x 13.8 cm]:

Printed postcard of the historic inn located in Downingtown, Chester County. Built in 1761, the General Washington Inn was variously known as the "King of Arms" and "King George" prior to the Revolutionary War. In 1796 it became the first Post Office in Chester County. A silhouette of a coach-and-four is illustrated in the upper left corner.


Notes:

Item pdcc01089, second down [image dimensions 8.3 cm x 25.6 cm]:

Reproduction of a drawing showing the facade of the Girard House hotel and adjacent buildings located on the 800 block of Chestnut Street, North side. The hotel was built in 1852 after designs of John McArthur, Jr., architect of City Hall and the Continental Hotel, which was located across the street. During the Civil War, the hotel was commandeered for use as a baracks for Union soldiers, as well as a sewing factory for their uniforms. Other businesses depicted include, from left B & O ticket office, C. Laflin fine shoes, Rosenberg & Co., tailors, The Daily News Building.

Published in Julio Rae's Philadelphia pictorial directory and panoramic advertiser, 1886.

Building demolished: YES


Notes:

Item pdcc01099, top [image dimensions 9.1 cm x 25.0 cm]:

Engraving showing the facade of the Girard House hotel, proprietors Presbury & Billings, and adjacent buildings located on the 800 block of Chestnut Street, North side. The hotel was built in 1851-52 after designs of John McArthur, Jr., architect of City Hall and the Continental Hotel, which was located across the street. During the Civil War, the hotel was commandeered for use as a baracks for Union soldiers, as well as a sewing factory for their uniforms.

Published in Julio Rae's Philadelphia pictorial directory & panoramic advertiser, 1851.

Building demolished: YES


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949815
Geocode Longitude:-75.154717

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
MacNeill, Henry T. - Artist
McArthur, John, 1823-1890 - Architect