Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 86Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01164, top [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 12.3 cm]:
Gable front and side view of an old wood frame building, a picket fence, and a large tree. Two men stand on the rickety porch, which wraps around the side of the building. A signboard above the window identifies the property as the Sportsmen's Hotel, and protruding from the building above the porch a hanging sign, ornamented with a painted glass of beer, bears the name of Robert H. Smith.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc01196, bottom [image dimensions 9.0 cm x 13.9 cm]:
Printed postcard showing a side and front view of the historic inn, which dates back to 1726. Shows the old stone arch bridge spanning Poquessing Creek in the distance. The tall shop sign, decorated with a lion, stands above the the corner of the covered porch.
Located on Kings Highway (now Bristol Pike), the Red Lion was an important relay station for New York stage coaches from as early as 1726. During the Revolutionary war General Washington stayed here for one night while the army bivouacked on the hillside during their march on Yorktown in 1781. The inn was destroyed by fire in 1991.
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
James Windrim and Co. - Architect