Item No: pdcc01208
Title: Jolly Post Inn - Frankford
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of a photograph of one of the many Colonial inns on King's Highway (now Frankford Avenue), Frankford. The Jolly Post is the oldest hostelry in Frankford and perhaps the most storied. Located on the west side of the avenue a short distance above Orthodox Street, the hostelry was part of a tract of 750 acres deeded by William Penn in 1680 to Henry Waddy. During the Revolution the Jolly Post was the center of information and discussion as the fortunes of the colonists fluctuated. General george Washington stopped for food and rest here on his way from Philadelphia to New York.
Clipped from an unidentified newspaper.
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler