Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 43Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01138, top [image dimensions 19.0 cm x 24.5 cm]:
Original watercolor painting of a colonial inn located in West Grove, Chester County, Pa. Established in 1740, it was named after the annual rent of one red rose asked for by the family of William Penn, who owned the land on which it was built.
Item pdcc01139, bottom [image dimensions 11.2 cm x 17.0 cm]:
Shows one of the inns in West Philadelphia that provided rest and sustenance for stage-coach travelers to and from the city. A large decorated signboard bearing the name of the establishment sits atop the roof. Adjacent buildings accomodate stables and a mule yard owned by Eli Kindig.
Building demolished: YES
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.200910
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.11
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Wilkinson, Thomas Harrison, 1847-1929 - Artist