Item No: pdcc02629
Title: Castner Scrapbook v. 11, Hotels, Inns, page 4
Historic Street Address:
138 North 2nd Street
Historic Street Address:
15th & Chestnut, Southwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01061, top left [image dimensions 13.6 cm x 15.0 cm]:
Depicts a scene outside a bookstore and a tavern on North Second Street, above Market. Two men lounge in the doorway of Leary & Getz's store while another sits smoking a cigar outside the adjacent Camel Tavern. A display of books are arranged on a table outside the storefront. New arrivals are being unloaded from a cart and a man kneels before a box of books on the sidewalk looking through the new shipment. Another reader, book in hand, sits on a fire hydrant; a well-dressed couple approaches the bookstore from the alley. Signage includes a board reading "Leary's cheap book store", and a model of a book protruding over the sidewalk from the store's second floor announces "Blank Books". In front of the tavern is a tall freestanding sign decorated with an image of a camel.
Item pdcc01062, top right [image dimensions 7.2 cm x 7.5 cm]:
Reproduction of an engraving of a colonial inn with other buildings in the distance. Shows a man walking on the opposite side of an unpaved and rutted Chestnut Street. A woman stands at the side entrance of the inn.
Caption reads: Clark's Inn, the Coach and Horses, was in Chestnut Street, opposite the State-House, before the Revolution. Here assemblymen, Governors, and public officers, with judges, perhaps, refreshed themselves in the good old times.
Clipping from an unidentified source.
Item pdcc01063, second down on the left [image dimensions 8.9 cm x 12.2 cm]:
Scenic view looking east across the River Schuylkill showing isolated buildings near the water's edge surrounded by trees on land rising steeply beyond. A rowboat full of people being ferried across the river approaches the far bank, where two other boats are moored. A small covered wagon makes its way along the path leading from the building known as Caldwell's Inn, which lies half-a-mile south of the town of Manayunk. The ferry was formerly called Righter's Ferry, named for the landowner Peter Righter who built the stone house at the ferry on the river.
Item pdcc01065, bottom right [image dimensions 8.8 cm x 13.9 cm]:
Postcard depicting Glen Isle Farm near Downingtown, Chester County. The historic building was an important stop on the Underground Railroad. It was built in 1735 as the Ship Tavern, and is mentioned in George Washington's diary, dated June 3, 1773 as a place in which he lodged!
A917.481 P536 v.11
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Breton, William L. - Artist
Gilbert, George, active 1818-1836 - Engraver
MacNeill, Henry T. - Artist