Item No: pdcl00036
Title: Race Street Wharf, Delaware Avenue at Race Street
Additional Title: Race Street Wharf, 1867
Historic Street Address:
Delaware Avenue and Race Street
Print and Picture Collection
"This old warehouse for salt and salt fish, also called a salthouse, was built in 1705, one of the first buildings to be erected on the Delaware waterfront. Its bricks and timbers were brought from England and were still sound when the building was taken down after 1900. The building housed a variety of businesses when the photograph was made around 1856. Besides William Neal, sailmaker, there were grain carters, public weighers and S. H. Levin, whose business in fish and provisions later became a firm of some size and importance. During the Revolution, a troop of British soldiers was quartered here."--OPEP, p. 36.
Corner view of brick commercial building. Signs identify several businesses: "S.H. & H Levin & Co."; "William Nell Sale Makers"; "Buchanan & Edmunds Public Weigher"; "F. Bonar Retailer of Wines & Liquors." One man leans against the street lamp at the corner, another stands at third floor window. Barrels lie on the sidewalk; horse-drawn wagons on street.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler