Mount Pleasant. Arnold's Residence.Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
View of the facade of Mount Pleasant mansion in Fairmount Park. Built c.1762 in the Georgian style by architect Thomas Neville, the house was much admired. Following a visit in 1755, John Adams called it "the most elegant seat in Pennsylvania". The original owner was John Mcpherson, a scottish privateer who named the house "Clunie" after his clan's seat in Scotland. Benedict Arnold bought the house in 1779 for his new bride, Peggy Shippen. Their occupancy was brief, however. A year later, Arnold defected to the British and they were forced to abandon the property.
On the roof, the balustrade is clearly visible above the large central pediment, which is flanked on both sides by dormer windows and tall chimneys. The entrance is crowned by a smaller pediment supported by Doric columns.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.197670
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Nevil, Thomas, 1721-1797
McPherson, John, 1726-1792
Arnold, Benedict, 1741-1801
Arnold, Margaret Shippen, 1760-1804
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler