Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 30

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 30

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02107
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 30
Historic Street Address: 2nd & Walnut Streets
Historic Street Address: 4000 Woodland Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00373, top left [image dimensions 9.0 cm x 7.7 cm]:

Building demolised: YES 1955


Notes:

Item pdcc00374, middle right [image dimensions 9.0 cm x 11.2 cm]:

http://www.woodlandsphila.org/

Shows northern facade of the historic Federal style mansion built by William Hamilton in 1786 on the west side of the Schuylkill River. The massive portico is ornamented with six Ionic pilasters flanked with pavilions. Wheel tracks are visible on the unpaved circular driveway. A statue and young plantings decorate the grassy island, and a stone and iron surround protect a cemetery plot on the left side.


Notes:

Item pdcc00377, bottom right [image dimensions 4.0 cm x 5.6 cm]:

http://www.nps.gov/vafo/historyculture/washingtonhq.htm

Shows the facade of the small stone building in which General George Washington and his staff inhabited for six months during the Valley Forge winter encampment. A man in elegant attire is sitting outside the doorway.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949167
Geocode Longitude:-75.203343

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Hamilton, William, 1745-1813
Washington, George, 1732-1799