Item No: pdcc02094
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses, page 17
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00362, bottom [image dimensions 11.6 cm x 16.2 cm]:
View shows the facade of a large house with two projecting wings. Built for merchant Samauel Carpenter in 1687, the house was notable for its slate roof, which was a rarity for its time. It was also known as the William Penn house after he occupied it between 1699 and 1701. It was demolished in 1867.
Item pdcc00364, middle [image dimensions 8.5 cm x 13.5 cm]:
Interior view shows a large fireplace inset with four tiles. A pot and fire-iron sit on the hearth and two candlesticks and a silver tray adorn the mantle. A longcase clock stands in the corner behind a clothed side table on which is set a large book. Light streams in from a tall window on the left wall. On the window seat sits a large hat with a cane leaning close by. Four upright chairs are situated around the room.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Breton, William L. - Artist
Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography - Lithographer