Item No: pdcc00382
Title: Wharton House
Historic Street Address:
5th Street & Washington Avenue.
Print and Picture Collection
View shows a large mansion in a rural setting. It was originally the country seat of Joseph Wharton (1707-1776), a successful merchant who named it Walnut Grove. Located in Wicaco township, near present-day 5th Street and Washington Avenue, it was the scene of the famous meschianza of 1778. The house was torn down in 1862 to make room for a schoolhouse.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Breton, William L. - Artist
Gilbert, George, active 1818-1836 - Engraver
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler