Item No: pdcc02123
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 46
Historic Street Address:
7th & Sansom Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00390, bottom left [image dimensions 12.5 cm x 9.7 cm]:
View of the clubhouse of the State in Schuylkill Fishing Club. Formed in 1732, the social club is believed to be the oldest of its kind in the United States. The clubhouse, named the Castle, was originally situated opposite the falls of Fairmount on the west bank of the Schuylkill River at Girard Avenue. In 1887 it was moved to Andalusia, Nicholas Biddle's country estate on the Delaware River in Bucks County. The cupola,with vane, houses a bell. It was rung to announce when dinner was being served.
Item pdcc00391, middle right;
A pastoral depiction showing the Castle, the name given to the clubhouse of the State in Schuylkill Fishing Club. Formed in 1732, the club is believed to be the oldest social club in the United States. Two men in wide-brimmed hats and long linen aprons stand talking in the foreground, two others stand in the distance close to a building. Trees surround the clubhouse, their leaves partly obscuring from view the cupola holding the bell, which was rung when announcing dinner. The original site of the Castle was opposite the falls of Fairmount, on the west bank of the Schuylkill River at Girard Avenue. In 1887 it was moved to Andalusia, Nicholas Biddle's country estate on the banks of the Delaware River in Bucks County.
Item pdcc00392, top left [image dimensions 1.05 cm x 12.7 cm]:
Shows a group of five men around a table situated on the grounds of the State in Schuylkill Fishing Club. The men, who are wearing linen aprons, are identified in a pencilled caption, from left: Camac, Wagner, Lewis, Adams, Harvey. Formed in 1732, the club is believed to be the oldest social in club in the United States. It was a tradition of the club that all cooking was done by its official members. The club was originally situated on the west bank of the Schuylkill River opposite the falls of Fairmount at Girard Avenue. The clubhouse, called the Castle, is just visible on the left edge of the photograph. In 1887 it was moved to Andalusia, Nicholas Biddle's country estate on the banks of the Delaware River in Bucks County.
Item pdcc00393, top right [image dimensions 8.5 cm x 10.5 cm]:
View of the public baths built in 1828 by William Swaim on the northeast corner of 7th & Sansom Streets. Swaim made his fortune selling "Panacea", his proprietory medicine, before realizing the profits to be gained by inducing Philadelphians to take regular baths. His public bathing establishment proved to be very popular, as most residences at that time did not have the convenience of a bathtub.
Item pdcc00394, bottom right [image dimensions 9.0 cm x 12.0 cm]:
View shows the building on Sixth Street below Market which was home to the Department of Foreign Affairs in 1780. The three-story building was demolished in 1846. A woman is shown standing inside the doorway of the adjacent building.
Building demolished: YES 1846
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Biddle, Nicholas, 1786-1844
Swaim, Wm. (William)