Item No: pdcc02095
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 18
Historic Street Address:
2nd & Sansom Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00363 [image dimensions 17.5 cm x 22.3 cm]:
Photograph shows the Slate Roof House in a dilapidated condition shortly before it was torn down. The slate roof is clearly visible as is the flemish bond pattern of brickwork on the facade. A man and three boys pose in front of the shuttered window. Behind them a sign reads: Thos. R. Lee Dealer & Refiner of Gold & Silver Removed to 113 South Second Street. Farther down, another sign reads: W. Walker Removed to 265 S. 2nd St. The house next door has the number 137 painted on its facade. A sign affixed to the side of the house reads Gothic Street. This narrow street was formerly known as Norris Alley and subsequently called Sansom Street. The side of the house is partially covered with advertising posters. A partial view of a building can be seen on the left edge.
In the foreground streetcar tracks are clearly visible on Second Street.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
F. Gutekunst, Photographers (Philadelphia, Pa.) - Photographer