Advanced
Race St. Wharf.

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00343
Title: Race St. Wharf.
Historic Street Address: Delaware Avenue & Race Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

http://libwww.freelibrary.org/diglib/searchitem.cfm?itemid=pdcl00036


Notes:

Engraving dated 1889 of an 1856 photograph (see Historic Images of Philadelphia pdcl00036) showing a corner view of a brick commercial building. Erected in 1705, this old warehouse for salt and salt fish, also called a salthouse, was one of the first buildings to appear on the Delaware River waterfront. A large sign projecting from the building reads "William Neil Sale Loft."  Other signs read "William Neil Sale Makers"; and  "S.H. & H. Levin & Co. Fish and Provisions." Barrels are shown assembled in front of the building and a man leans against a corner lamppost. A horse-drawn wagon is waiting at the curbside. The building was torn down sometime after 1910.


Creation Year: 1889
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.953520
Geocode Longitude:-75.140026

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Ritchie, H. - Engraver
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler