Item No: pdcc02101
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 24
Historic Street Address:
4th & Locust Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00368, top [image dimensions 17.0 cm x 17.8 cm]:
View of the residence of Dr. Caspar Wistar (1761 - 1818) on the corner of 4th & Locust Streets. An eminent physician and anatomist, he was a faculty member of the University of Pennsylvania. His private collection of anatomical specimens is housed in the University's Wistar Institute, formed by his great nephew in 1892. The house was built for him in 1798, and remained his home for the rest of his life. Subsequent occupants were John Cadwalader, and Louis Phillipe. The house was torn down in 1898.
Building demolished: YES 1898
Item pdcc00369, bottom left [image dimensions 7.5 cm x 7.0 cm]:
Shows two attached clapboard houses in the Kensington neighborhood. Wooden steps lead to the front doors situated high abovethe sidewalk. The sideyard is protected from the street by a tall wooden fence.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Wistar, Caspar, 1761-1818
Cadwalader, John, 1805-1879