Item No: pdcc00388
Title: Castle, State of Schuylkill
Print and Picture Collection
Undated view of the clubhouse of the Schuylkill Fishing Company. Established in 1732 as the Colony in Schuylkill, the club is one of the oldest social clubs in the United States. “Baron” William Warner allowed the club to use his land on the west bank of the Schuylkill about one mile above Fairmount. The Colony erected a clubhouse dubbed the Court House in 1747. The Colony changed its name to the State in Schuylkill in 1782, at which time the Court House became known as the Castle. In 1812, the original Castle was replaced by a new structure designed by Philadelphia draftsman and carpenter Thomas Carstairs and built by master builder Daniel Knight. In 1816, Knight built a new free-standing kitchen. In 1822, the Castle and Kitchen were moved to Rambo’s Rock on the East Side of the Schuylkill opposite Bartram’s Gardens. Between 1876 and 1887, the Company leased land from the Fairmount Park Commission on the north bank of the Wissahickon Creek at its confluence with the Schuylkill River, known as “The Colony of the State in Schuylkill,” while also maintaining the Castle and Kitchen at Rambo’s Rock. In 1887, the Schuylkill Fishing Company left Rambo’s Rock on the Schuylkill River behind and moved to a property on the Delaware River at Eddington known as the Clock House. The Castle and Kitchen were re-erected on the site during the winter of 1887-1888. The Company continued to lease the Colony of the State in Schuylkill on the Wissahickon until 1902. In 1944, the Company moved south to the former Devon property on the Delaware, in the unincorporated community of Andalusia, which is named after the nearby estate of Nicholas Biddle (1786-1844). The Castle and Kitchen were rebuilt at the new location and ready by May 1, 1945.
The Schuylkill Fishing Company of the State in Schuylkill, 1732-1982 by Nicholas B. Wainwright.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler