Item No: pdcc02141
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 64
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00437 [image dimensions 11.3 cm x 17.5]:
Halftone reproduction of a watercolor sketch of the mansion used as the country seat of James Pemberton from 1758 until his death in 1809. The square single-story house had a high hipped roof, with a flat top finished off with a balustrade. Steps ascend to the front door, which projects from the rest of the facade, and is crowned by a pediment. "The Plantation" as it was known, was a modest estate of lawns, shrubbery and kitchen gardens. During the Revolutionary War the house served as quarters for British troops, and later served as a military hospital. It was demolished to make way for the construction of the United States Naval Asylum in 1829.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Pemberton, James, 1723-1809