Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 20

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 20

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02097
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 20
Historic Street Address: 2nd & Sansom Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00365, top [image dimensions 14.0 cm x 19.5 cm]:

http://www.ushistory.org/tour/welcome-park.htm

Original albumen print showing elevated view of the Slate Roof House in a dilapidated condition taken shortly before the building was demolished. The slate roof, which gave the house its name, is clearly visible, as is the pattern of flemish bond brickwork on its facade. The upper story windows are broken, the lower ones are barred shut. The sign on the side of the building identifies the narrow street as Gothic Street, formerly named Norris Alley, and subsequently called Sansom Street. Posters displayed on the side wall include an advertisement for a Walnut Street Theater production of Oliver Twist.

Building demolished: YES ca. 1868


Notes:

Item pdcc00366, bottom [image dimensions 13.4 cm x 22.0 cm]:

Ink drawing of large brick house built by Jasper Yeates in 1700. Yeates was appointed by William Penn one of the four first burgesses of Chester who later became a justice of the Supreme court of the province.  Ownership of the house descended by family to George Logan, a prominent physician and grandson of James Logan, secretary to William Penn.

Building demolished: YES 1889


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.947493
Geocode Longitude:-75.144011

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Yeates, Jasper, 1670-1720
Penn, William, 1644-1718
Logan, George, 1753-1821