Item No: pdcc02081
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 4
Historic Street Address:
4200 Chamounix Drive
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00341, bottom [image dimensions 13.1 cm x 17.0 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph.
One of the oldest houses in Fairmount Park, Ridgeland was built as a farmhouse by William Couch circa 1762, and didn't become a country retreat until the 1790s. In 1806 it was sold to Jacob S. Waln who was responsible for its name. It continued the country seat of the Waln family until it was sold by them to Fairmount Park, who used it as a residence of the Park Superintendent. It has undergone many alterations and the main house is still accompanied by other 19th century buildings. Since 1997 it has been leased to the Cancer Wellness Center.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Waln, Jacob S., 1776-1850