Item No: pdcc00344
Title: Old Warehouse, Built 1705, - Race Street Wharf.
Historic Street Address:
Delaware Avenue & Race Street
Print and Picture Collection
This old warehouse for salt and salt fish, also called a salthouse, was built in 1705 and was one of the first buildings to be erected on the Delaware waterfront. Its bricks and timbers were brought from England and were still sound when the building was torn down sometime after 1908.A large sign advertises "S.H. Levin Salt Fish Store." Barrels line the sidewalk, and a number of men are busy outside the entrance. A large flag hanging lifelessly from the front of the building has 46 stars, suggesting the date of the photograph is between 1908 and 1912.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler