Item No: pdcc02085
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 8
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00345, top [image dimensions 11.8 cm x 18.0 cm]:
Engraving of interior of the powder mill in an advanced state of decay. Watermills had been built along the banks of Cobb's Creek since colonial times and provided the early settlers with flour, textiles and gunpowder. The stone structure, one of several built for the local powder-making industry, was the principal mill where the grinding of the ingredients took place. Prior to its demolition in 1878 it had been converted into two dwellings.
Item pdcc00346. bottom [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 12.5 cm]:
Photograph of the interior showing the mill in ruins. The powder mill had been converted into dwellings prior to its demolition in 1878. It was originally built as the grinding mill for the production of gunpowder.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler