Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 75

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 75

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02152
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 75
Historic Street Address: 4000 Woodland Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00411 [image dimensions 11.0 cm x 15.1 cm]:

Source: http://www.woodlandsphila.org/mansion_history.php

This view of the mansion emphasises the grandeur of the two-storied portico. Built by William Hamilton in 1770 on an inherited 300 acre estate called "The Woodlands", on the west bank of the Schuylkill River, the Federal Style mansion was extensively rebuilt in 1786. After Hamilton's death in 1813 his heirs sold off much of the estate for residential development.  Fortunately, in 1840, local investors purchased the core of the historically significant estate, including the mansion, outbuildings and plantings, in order to preserve it for future generations.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949167
Geocode Longitude:-75.203343

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Hamilton, William, 1745-1813