Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 37

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 37

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02114
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 37
Historic Street Address: Taconey & Church Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdd00380. top left [image dimensions 9.5 cm x 12.3 cm]:

Oblique view of a large mansion set amidst a tree-filled landscape. Waln Grove was built in 1742 by Robert Waln, a Philadelphia merchant, who used it as a summer residence. Four figures can be seen by the large pillared portico which extends the length of the central portion of the building. The wings are two stories, with garrets  lighted by dormer windows. Each wing terminates in distinctive semi-hexagonal walls and windows. The vast estate was situated in what is now the Frankford section of the city. The Waln family owned the property until the death of its last occupant, Robert Waln Leaming, in 1884. The building was demolished and the property parceled and sold sometime after 1886.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:40.006787
Geocode Longitude:-75.082911

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Waln, Robert, 1765-1836
Leaming, Robert Waln, 1824-1884