Item No: pdcc02084
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 7
Historic Street Address:
Delaware Avenue & Race Street
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00343, top [image dimensions 14.6 cm x 20.3 cm]:
Engraving dated 1889 of an 1856 photograph (see Historic Images of Philadelphia pdcl00036) showing a corner view of a brick commercial building. Erected in 1705, this old warehouse for salt and salt fish, also called a salthouse, was one of the first buildings to appear on the Delaware River waterfront. A large sign projecting from the building reads "William Neil Sale Loft." Other signs read "William Neil Sale Makers"; and "S.H. & H. Levin & Co. Fish and Provisions." Barrels are shown assembled in front of the building and a man leans against a corner lamppost. A horse-drawn wagon is waiting at the curbside. The building was torn down sometime after 1910.
Building demolished: YES ca. 1910
Item pdcc00344, bottom [image dimensions 10.5 cm x 13.5 cm]:
This old warehouse for salt and salt fish, also called a salthouse, was built in 1705 and was one of the first buildings to be erected on the Delaware waterfront. Its bricks and timbers were brought from England and were still sound when the building was torn down sometime after 1908.A large sign advertises "S.H. Levin Salt Fish Store." Barrels line the sidewalk, and a number of men are busy outside the entrance. A large flag hanging lifelessly from the front of the building has 46 stars, suggesting the date of the photograph is between 1908 and 1912.
Building demolished: YES
A917.481 P536 v.5
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Ritchie, H. - Engraver